Monday, December 7, 2009

Respond To A Classmate: Marne's Formula 50


After browsing some of my fellow student’s LSC 100 blogs, I came across an article on Marne Bruckner’s page that quickly caught my eye. At the top of the screen there was a large photo of 50 cent and his advertising campaign supporting his newly formulated vitamin water dubbed “Formula 50”. In her article, Marne discussed how big name rappers and other stars are paid an insane amount of money to indorse different products, in an attempt to get the consumers to buy their products.

I agree with Marne’s opinion on this idea, which is that in this situation, as in most others, 50 cent is not qualified to indorse vitamin water. I also liked how Marne drew attention to some of 50’s lyrics, “You can find me in the club, bottle full of bub, look mami I got the X if you into taken drugs…” With this clever use of 50’s words, Marne directly showed how 50 cent isn’t too terribly concerned about his health or about consuming products which are good for one’s health such as drinking the vitamin water that he endorses.

In the end, it usually turns up that the celebrity is unfit to endorse the product that he or she gets paid to advertise. Most actors, although I can’t say that I necessarily blame them, are in these commercials to make an easy buck. In return, the companies are profiting from their celebrity endorses because most people don’t stop to think about whether or not the person selling the product is qualified enough to know what he or she is talking about, or if they do, the consumer may not even care if he or she is a fan of the celebrity. In the end, however, I guess if companies are willing to hire good advertisers and people are willing to buy the product, then all the more power to the company for thinking of using that celebrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment