Thursday, October 8, 2009

My Adventure With Pasta

For this blog assignment, I chose to prepare whole wheat pasta with tomato sauce. The first thing I did in preparing for this meal was to ride my moped to the grocery store where I purchased the following ingredients: whole wheat pasta, bottled garlic and basil flavored tomato sauce, and some shredded parmesan cheese. After paying for my items, I placed them in my backpack and rode back to my dorm. Once I arrived at my dorm, I checked out a large pot with a lid, a small saucepan, and a large spoon from the main desk. Next I ventured to the kitchen on my floor and washed all of my checked out dishes, trying to avoid any previous germs left on them that may make my fellow eaters or me sick. Now, dishes clean, and food at hand, I was ready to begin preparing my meal.

First I filled my large pot with water and allowed that to come to a rolling boil before adding some salt to the water. It is always best to season your food in layers. Once the water returned to a boil, I carefully dumped the box of pasta in the water. By following the directions on the box, the pasta needed to cook for 11-13 minutes for al dente pasta, which is what I like to eat. After about 6 minutes in of cooking my pasta, I emptied the contents of the tomato sauce into the small sauce pan to heat up, stirring both occasionally for the remaining of their cooking times.

After the eleven minutes, the cooking was finished, I drained the water off the pasta, plated it, topped it with the hot tomato sauce and shredded cheese, and served it to my roommate and a couple of other friends.

I I had fun going to the grocery store as well as making the meal because I enjoy cooking. I also enjoyed eating the pasta more because I made it, and I appreciated the time that I spent making it. I agree with Michael Pollen that eating has become more of a nutrionalism concern; however, I don’t think it takes part in the majority of my meal eating, but rather the small portion of time when I have to grab food on the go. Obviously pasta and tomato sauce is not the healthiest food in the world, but I made it because I enjoy the taste of pasta and the company of those who I can enjoy a sit down meal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment